Key West half marathon

Key West Weekend had been a year in the making. Four of us, meeting in Miami and then driving down to Key Marathon - I was not well versed in the Keys when I agreed to this trip, so I didn't know what we were planning. Luckily we had some help, and we got to Marathon Key without difficulty.
We headed to Key West the next morning to explore and pick up our packets. The weather was not quite as warm as we had hoped, but we made the best of it. 


Exploring Key West was all kinds of fun, it warmed up in the afternoon, so we got to enjoy a little bit of summer-like weather.




We took a tour of the island and had Key Lime slushies while we were enjoying ourselves.

Halfway through Friday we finally found Seyi - she had her own little adventure getting to the Keys a day before the rest of us, but we all got our packets and prepared for the next mornings very early start.



Since Marathon Key is about an hour from Key West, we left super-early in the morning, it was chilly when we got there, but we kept moving and before too long we were off and running.

It's a very nice course, lots of running along the water while also running though the streets. Taking the tour the day before was helpful as we knew what we were running past, which made it a bit more fun.




Right after this, I decided to be cool and jump a concrete wall to hit the bathroom. I failed, and wound up with scrapes and bruises on my knees and shins. Whoops. #letsnottrythatagain and before we knew it, we were done! I hadn't run much since November, so I was definitely tight afterwards, but we walked around a bit and that helped. We grabbed some yummy burgers at a close-by brewery then decided to sightsee a bit.


Seyi in front of Ernest Hemingway's home

Tile flooring in the bathroom. It's an art deco masterpiece.

We enjoyed all the sunshine we could while we were there. 


Then we decided to feed the Tarpins. Giant fish who grab the food out of your hand. Jessica and Seyi were much braver than I.


The light and warmth was enough to rejuvenate me to get through the rest of the winter. Definitely a place to visit more than one.

The effects of the hurricane were obvious nearly everywhere we went, there were massive amounts of brush, debris, and damage.  luckily I found an ultra-marathon that is down that way, so I have a great reason to return! until next time Keys.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby's First Birthday

2019 - Living my best life

The Marathon I didn't do